Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Story behind the Farm

I'm no history buff but I've always been interested in the stories behind Civil War farms. The George Spangler farm, where George, his wife, and four children resided before the Battle of Gettysburg, was converted into a field hospital for the 2nd Division of the 11th Union Army Corps. 1,800 Union soldiers and 100 Confederates were treated here. The dead were buried on his property, which has been farmed almost continuously since before the Civil War. I saw for myself the haunting beauty of this farm this past June and I had to put it to canvas!

Blacksmith Shop Farm, acrylic on canvas, 30" x 40"

Shop original here.

Work-in-progress shot below from my instagram account @amcoolick.

Codori Farm, Gettysburg first layer #wip #painting #gettysburg

A photo posted by Ann Marie Coolick (@amcoolick) on

No comments:

Post a Comment